Statistics and Results

Hi everyone!

I spent all of last week trying to figure out how to do my statistical analysis.
(Image source)
I walked into Mrs. Clark's (the AP Statistics teacher) room completely clueless. At first, she didn't realize I had no experience, and suggested I run several different fancy tests for significance and normality that I had never heard of.

I must have had the most bizarre look on my face, because after 10 minutes of explanation, she finally asked, "Have you even taken stats before?" "Uhhhh nope." "OH...let's start over."
Self-portrait (Image source)

RESULTS

After three different sessions of learning statistics, I finally had a moderate understanding. I was able to run paired P tests and 2-sample tests to come to some conclusions:
  • ✅ Based on the self-reported stress levels, VR (in both groups) was significant in reducing stress/anxiety
  • ❌ In Group 2 (with controllers), the BP on average increased!
    • Participants threw rocks vigorously, so there was increased activity 
  • ❌ Changes in BP and HR did not correlate
    • Cortisol swabs would  have been more accurate, but they would be too expensive
I used a software called "Minitab" to analyze the statistics
Overall, my hypothesis was proved to be correct. The validity of the one-question Likert scale based on previous research makes the self-reported stress levels much more accurate than the biodata. However, my research can only be cited as a "pilot study" based on some trouble I had with the sampling that I will talk about next week. 

I went in to help Mrs. Clark organize her room to thank her for all her help. I don't have a "before" picture, but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out -- I had to show you! :)
See you next week!

Comments

  1. Any ideas on why HR and BP didn't correlate? Was it just instrument error?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does a "pilot study" differ?

    (Also, awesome job on Mrs. Clark's shelves!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment