Running the Experiment

Hi everyone!

The second week of data collection was a success! So far, I've gotten through about 60 people and I am on track to reach my goal of 90 participants. It's been pretty tiring running the experiment all by myself, but I am almost done with the experimental phase. As promised, I'll explain the changes I made to the procedure and how the first two weeks went down.

Me trying to wrangle college students (Image source)
First of all, I decided to do away with the control group, because I realized that the best method was to compare any changes in stress to a participant's baseline expectation: no change at all. It would be a waste of time to measure the differences in bio-data before and after five minutes of regular standing, as there would be no change in reported stress levels. After the first two attempts at obtaining control data, I was greeted with confused faces and disappointment at the lack of
"cool VR tech to play with."

Also, I decided to use an electronic blood pressure monitor that I borrowed from Raj, which measures blood pressure and heart rate at the same time. (Thanks, Raj!)
A lifesaver (Image Source)

Aside from those two changes, I ran the experiment with the following basic procedure. It took about 15 minutes per participant (20 minutes if they were chatty.)

  1. Pre
    • Sign consent form
    • Take BP/HR
    • Ask survey (average and current)
  2. Experimental
    • 5 minutes in the HTC Vive
  3. Post
    • Take BP/HR
    • Ask survey (current)
    • Ask questionnaire
    • Give them cookies!
The final step of part 3 is obviously the most important aspect of the entire procedure (Image Source)
Next week, I'll wrap up my data collection and start to analyze my results. See you then!

Comments

  1. No problem! But if I spontaneously develop diabetes while you have it, I'm blaming you.

    What is the most difficult part of collecting data?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job getting so many participants! Do you feel you have sufficiently managed to obtain a representative sample? What factors went into considering this?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment