Advertising


Ad attempt #2 (I think I'm funny)

Hi everyone!

This week I started to run my experiment! I will be in the process of gathering data for the next three weeks, but I'll talk a little more about that in the next post. Today, I'm going to talk about the process of recruiting participants.

The advertising process was a struggle. It proved to be much harder than I expected, because I didn't realize it would be so hard to get college kids out of their dorms. I started with a Powerpoint slide advertisement that would appear on Canvas, the program the students use to access their class assignments. Unfortunately, I heard that many students skim past announcements on the front page, so not many people signed up.

Ad attempt #1
I realized my design was a bit boring and I modified it to be a little more ~eye-catching~ and appealing to the target population (see first image). Some people responded to the second version, but I ended up going up to several students to recruit them face-to-face.

Do as the QR code says
I created a QR code that was a link to my SignUpGenius to register for the research study. I set it as the lockscreen of my phone so I could whip it out and have people scan it. This went alright, but the best method was to have Derric wrangle people in from the commons once the experiment actually started. :)

Until next week!

Comments

  1. Great job creatively attracting your participants. What do you feel has worked best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to recruit many people in the commons by walking up and asking them to come into the lab to participate on the spot, rather than scan the QR code. It's not as organized for me, but it's the most simple method.

      Delete
  2. Did you end up giving out any extra credit? "Pain is temporary; GPA is forever."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valid question. At the end of the data collection phase, I'll give the list of names to my mentor who will give out the extra credit.

      Delete

Post a Comment